To preserve and enhance the downtown area as the heart of
East Point, communicating a sense of place, community pride and heritage, while providing for a successful business and
Downtown Flashback Feature
Each month, the East Point Historical Society provides an article for the "Flashback Feature" for the Downtown Newsletter. Each article highlights a piece of East Point's vibrant history. More information about East Point's history is available at the East Point Historical Society located at 1685 Norman Berry Drive, East Point, GA 30344. You can contact them at (404) 767-4656 or visit www.eastpoinths.org. All "Flashback Features" will be archived on the website and can be accessed at any time.
East Point’s Centennial Quilt: A History Lesson in Needlework, Part Three: City Services
In 1987, members of the East Point Woman’s Club stitched together a quilt to commemorate East Point’s Centennial. Each of the 49 squares helps tell the story of East Point’s history. The quilt is on display at the East Point Historical Society. This is the third in a series of East Point history lessons, as reflected in a sampling of the quilt’s squares.
East Point’s founding in 1887 led to the establishment of expanding municipal services as would be expected for any growing industrial and commercial center.
Fire Truck: A volunteer fire department was created in 1909 and in 1912 East Point’s first fire truck was purchased.
Recreation: Among East Point’s earliest parks was the tennis complex built in 1926 at the site of the Cold Springs Cue Club, now the location of the East Point Historical Society. A full-time city recreation director was appointed in 1950.
Police: The police department was established in 1907. Parking and speeding ordinances were created in 1921 and three stop signs were erected in 1927.
Clean Community System: This department was created in 1977 to encourage litter prevention, recycling and community beautification. It is now known as Keep East Point Beautiful and affiliated with the national Keep America Beautiful program.
Waterworks: The first water mains were built in 1909. A reservoir and pumping structure was built and operations began in 1944 at the plant on Headland Drive.
City Hall: A new City Hall and City Auditorium were dedicated in 1931.The former city hall nearby on Cleveland Avenue dated from 1912.
- Carole Griffith, East Point Historical Society
» Read East Point’s Centennial Quilt: A History Lesson in Needlework, Part Two: Industry & Manufacturing, Part Two