To preserve and enhance the
downtown area as the heart of
East Point, communicating a sense
of place, community pride and
heritage, while providing for
a successful business and
Downtown Flashback Feature
Each month, the East Point Historical Society provides an article for the "Flashback Feature" for the Downtown Newsletter. Each article highlights a piece of East Point's vibrant history. More information about East Point's history is available at the East Point Historical Society located at 1685 Norman Berry Drive, East Point, GA 30344. You can contact them at (404) 767-4656 or visit www.eastpoinths.org. All "Flashback Features" will be archived on the website and can be accessed at any time.
East Point’s Centennial Quilt - A History Lesson in Needlework:
Part Six: Community Landmarks, Article 2 of 2
After several years in design work and fundraising, the Keep America Beautiful Rose Garden was dedicated in August 1986. It was part of a nationwide beautification program that continues today through Keep East Point Beautiful. A variety of roses were planted, are maintained and nurtured by volunteers, local businesses and the city parks department.
Each year in May or June, KEPB hosts a garden tea to encourage citizens to appreciate and enjoy the roses.
East Point’s first church was built in 1873 as a memorial to Nellie Thompson, the seven year old daughter of Dr. J.D. Thompson, one of East Point’s early founders. It served as the meeting place for many other congregations until their church buildings could be erected. The building originally faced Main Street but was later moved to face East Point Street. Additions were made and repairs made after a major fire and it is now known as East Point Avenue United Methodist Church.
The Tower Clock and the East Point MARTA station were both dedicated on August 16, 1986, and timed to celebrate the 99th anniversary of East Point’s incorporation. The Tower Clock was envisioned as a landmark for downtown and an image for East Point’s move into its second century and its continuing associations with different forms of transportation.
Dick Lane Velodrome
East Point has been a destination for cycling enthusiasts from the 1890s. Inspired by the 1972 Munich Olympics, the Dick Lane Velodrome was built in 1974 and was used during the 1996 Atlanta Olympics as a training facility. One of 26 Velodromes in the U.S., it is the only one that features a green space, oak tree and creek in the center. It continues to serve cycling, racing and youth programs. Dick Lane was a long-term director of East Point’s recreation department and a state representative.
» Read East Point’s Centennial Quilt: A History Lesson in Needlework, Part Six: Community Landmarks, Article 1 of 2
» Read East Point’s Centennial Quilt: A History Lesson in Needlework, Part Five: Commerce, Continued...
» Read East Point’s Centennial Quilt: A History Lesson in Needlework, Part Five: Commerce
» Read East Point’s Centennial Quilt: A History Lesson in Needlework, Part Four: Education
» Read East Point’s Centennial Quilt: A History Lesson in Needlework, Part Three: City Services
» Read East Point’s Centennial Quilt: A History Lesson in Needlework, Part Two: Industry & Manufacturing, Part Two
» Read East Point’s Centennial Quilt: A History Lesson in Needlework, Part Two: Industry & Manufacturing, Part One
» Read related Flashback Feature about the East Point Centennial Quilt
Learn more about East Point history and see first hand the collection of artifacts, photographs, maps and records that further illustrate East Point’s history. Visit the East Point Historical Society at 1685
Norman Berry Drive. Museum & Archives - Free Admission - Free Parking
Thursdays 1 - 4 p.m., Saturdays 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Phone: 404-767-4656